Creating A Safer Work Zone

« Back to Home

3 Residential Electrical Problems To Know About

Posted on

A common cause of house fires is electrical problems. It is important for a homeowner to make sure electrical problems are diagnosed by an electrician as soon as they are noticed so that fires can be avoided. Even something like a light suddenly starting to go dim should be seen as something that is serious. The problem is even worse when there are numerous electrical problems in a house. In this article, learn about some of the electrical problems a house can have and the type of repairs that are likely needed.

1. Wall Outlets That Are Always Hot

No matter which type of electronics are plugged into a wall outlet, they should not cause the outlet to become hot. It is also not normal for the outlets to get hot when there are no electronics plugged into them. If you are dealing with hot outlets, the immediate attention of an electrician is needed to diagnose the problem. It is possible that the heat is due to there being faulty wiring present that wasn't installed correctly. The wires can also be frayed or damaged in some other way.

2. Sounds Coming from Light Fixtures

If there are sounds coming from a light fixture in your house, it is a sign of an electrical problem. The noises can stem from bad wiring, or they can be due to there being something wrong with the light fixture. If you don't know how to diagnose a problematic fixture, you should hire an electrician. He or she will promptly find out if the fixture is damaged, as well as if it is possible to be repaired. The electrician will also examine the wires that the fixture is connected to.

3. A Strange Odor Near the Electrical Panel

Do you smell a strange odor that smells as though something is burning when you are standing near the electrical panel in your house? If so, you might be dealing with a major electrical problem that must be resolved before it begins to affect the electronics that are plugged into outlets. The odor can stem from the panel receiving a high amount of volts from the pole transmitter on the outside of your house. It is possible that wires have been heating up to extreme temperatures. A fire will likely spark up in your house if such a problem isn't repaired soon enough, as the wires will begin to release sparks.

If you notice any of these problems, contact an electric repair company, like McDonald Electric, right away.


Share